Short DescriptionExpedia is seeking for Senior Software Data Engineer who will be resposible for making sure code deploys smoothly and correctly into cloud environments (AWS).
- Writing code- lots of it. Much of our code is in HiveQL and Python scheduled using Apache Airflow - but we also use Java, a little bit of Scala and whatever other tools or languages are needed. We welcome programmers of all backgrounds as long as you are keen to work with data and deliver good-quality code!
- Making sure code deploys smoothly and correctly into our cloud environments (AWS).
- Getting a good understanding of our data sets and the business processes and teams that they support. This includes knowledge of tools and APIs from partners including Google, and Facebook.
- Working in an Agile team and looking for ways to continuously improve through asking for and providing feedback.
- Sharing your technical knowledge with the team, reviewing work and providing guidance where you have seniority or experience with a specific technology.
- Acting as a point of contact for technical issues for specific workstreams within a project.
- Implementing product features, working with Product Owners, QA and Data Operations teams as well as other data engineers. Using good practice like of checking requirements, unit testing, and code reviews to ensure these are delivered correctly.
- Feeding into and helping implement our technical roadmap, which include handling technical debt, innovating with new technologies and approaches and helping to build up and broaden the technical skills or yourself and the rest of your team.
- Around 3-5 years of coding in Python (including use of Airflow), Java or another object-oriented language.
- Hadoop (or other Big Data/ distributed systems), including Hive and Amazon EMR.
- Experience of using cloud services (e.g. Amazon Web Services), particularly with an infrastructure-as-code approach (we use Terraform and Ansible)
- Data modelling and data warehousing.
- Scalable relational database systems such as Redshift, Teradata.
- Passionate about learning, be that about languages, tools, data sets or how they are used by the business.
Senior Software Data Engineer
Hotels.com, a leading global lodging expert operating 89 localized websites in 39 languages with its award winning Hotels.com Rewards loyalty program
Orbitz Worldwide, including leading U.S. travel websites Orbitz.com and CheapTickets.com, as well as ebookers, a full service travel brand with websites in seven European countries. Expedia Affiliate Network (EAN), a global B2B brand that powers the hotel business of leading airlines, top consumer brands, online travel agencies and thousands of other partners through its API and template solutions ,trivago, a leading online hotel search platform with sites in 55 countries worldwide , Egencia, a leading corporate travel management company
For corporate and industry news and views, visit us at www.expediainc.com or follow us on Twitter @expediainc.