CRM/Consumer Analytics, Finance, and Banking are still the leading applications, but Health Care and Fraud Detection are gaining. Anti-spam, Manufacturing, and Social are the fastest growing sectors in 2017, while Oil / Gas / Energy and Social Networks analysis have declined.
Industries / Fields where you applied Analytics, Data Science, Machine Learning in 2017?
Top 3 most popular areas were the same, with almost the same share as last year. Health care moved to no. 4 position from no. 5, and Fraud Detection up to no. 5 position from no. 7
- CRM/Consumer analytics, 16.8% (was 16.3% in 2016)
- Finance, 15.2% (was 15.0%)
- Banking, 14.1% (was 13.4%)
- Health care, 13.2% (was 12.0%)
- Fraud Detection, 13.0% (was 11.1%)
Fig. 1: Where Analytics, Data Science, Machine Learning were applied in 2016 and 2017
The icon color is greener if sector share increased in 2017 vs 2016 (red if decreased), and shape corresponds to changes over 2 years: Up triangle if share went up 2 years in a row by more than 1%, down triangle if went down 2 years by more than 1%, and circle otherwise.
- Junk email / Anti-spam, up 106%, to 2.2% in 2017 from 1.1% in 2016
- Manufacturing, up 60%, to 9.0% from 5.6%
- Social Good/Non-profit, up 35%, to 2.7% from 2.0%
- Education, up 33%, to 9.4% from 7.1%
- Medical/ Pharma, up 31%, to 8.5% from 6.5%
- Supply Chain, up 31%, to 8.5% from 6.5%
- HR/workforce analytics, up 30%, to 4.7% from 3.6%
The industries/areas with the biggest decline in share of applications were
- Mobile apps, down -59%, to 1.3% from 3.3%
- Investment / Stocks, down -45%, to 3.4% from 6.2%
- Security / Anti-terrorism, down -42%, to 1.6% from 2.7%
- Entertainment/ Music/ TV/ Movies, down -32%, to 2.7% from 4.0%
- Telecom / Cable, down -30%, to 5.8% from 8.3%
It is very interesting that the average number of industries/areas per voter was 2.7, the same as in 2016 and only slightly different than 2.65 in 2015. Perhaps there is a limit to effective application of Data Science across industries?
In this poll we had 446 participants, compared to 552 in poll on 2016 applications, and 350 for 2015 poll.
The three-year comparison shows relative stability in share of applications for most of areas and also an increasing diversity of applications.
Only 2 sectors showed increase of 10% or more for 2 years in a row:
- Junk email / Anti-spam
- Fraud Detection
and only 2 areas declined in share by about 10% or more 2 years in a row:
- Oil / Gas / Energy
- Social Media / Social Networks
Regional distribution was again similar to last year poll, but almost exactly the same share from US/Canada and Europe, with higher share from Asia and lower share from Africa/Middle East and Latin America:
- US/Canada, 39%
- Europe, 34%
- Asia 16%
- Latin America, 5.2%
- Africa/Middle East, 3.1%
- Australia/NZ, 2.9%
Source: Applications, Data Science, Industry, Machine Learning