Short DescriptionThis role will enable collaboration with the FAIR and AML research groups as well as Facebook AR/VR product groups while investigating new techniques and systems for storing, securing, analyzing, serving, and lifecycle management.
- Design and implementation of research prototypes that will show the way towards live, production data systems
- API design, implementation and testing for enabling next generation for AR/VR/MR applications.
- Evaluation of prototypes in multiple environments and platforms under realistic and simulated conditions.
- Data management and curation of geometric, acoustic, and multi-sensor data.
- Evolution and integration of research prototypes with systems from other teams.
- Analysis of computing data hierarchy from cloud to mobile device client.
- Collaboration with core infrastructure teams as well as multiple research and product groups.
- Understanding size, weight, cost, power, and bandwidth constraints of future consumer devices
- Currently has or is in the process of obtaining a MS degree in the field of distributed systems, data management, databases, computer vision, machine learning or related field
- Must be available to start employment on or after September 2017
- 4+ years experience in C/C++ or other non-garbage collected language
- 2+ years experience with massively scalable cloud systems (AWS/Azure/GCP)
- 2+ years experience with batch, ad-hoc, and stream processing of large data sets (MapReduce, Kinesis, Spark, etc.)
- Background in design and systems
- Interpersonal skills: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Ability to obtain work authorization in the United States in 2018 (or sooner)
- Preferred Qualification
- Currently has or is in the process of obtaining a PhD degree in the field of distributed systems, data management, databases, computer vision, machine learning or related field
- Experience with developing machine learning, 3D geometry, and physics based simulation
- Demonstrated software engineer experience via an internship, work experience, coding competitions, or widely used contributions in open source repositories (e.g. GitHub)
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by grants, fellowships, patents, as well as first-authored publications at leading workshops or conferences such as SIGMOD, VLDB, ICDE, etc.
Research Software Engineer