Short DescriptionWalmart is hiring for System Engineer-Hadoop Cluster Administration who will providing technical assistance to a broad community of big data infrastructure users, such as software application engineers and data scientists.
- Performing system administration tasks to maintain and improve the big data environment, ranging from tactical server and operating system administration to planning and executing projects that upgrade or reconfigure online systems
- Developing software that combines open-source and custom components to simplify and automate routine big data management tasks, for example, writing command-line or web-based interfaces that automate common procedures in a user-friendly manner
- Work to investigate new big data tools and technologies and their application to common use cases and design patterns, such as big data processing using cloud-based platforms
- Providing technical assistance to a broad community of big data infrastructure users, such as software application engineers and data scientists
- Contribute to architectural decisions based on the changing needs of the cluster and its users.
- Participating in a periodic on-call pager rotation of systems operations engineers responsible for the continuous availability of Walmart's big data infrastructure
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related discipline, or equivalent experience
- Experience with Linux system administration, networking, storage system configuration, performance tuning
- Experience with at least one scripting language, such as bash, Python, Perl, or Ruby
- Ability to explain technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Experience working in highly-available cluster environments.
- Experience with monitoring solutions- (e.g., ganglia, grafana, Nagios, check_mk)
- Experience with configuration management- preferably Puppet or Ansible.
- Experience building web-based user services using common web frameworks, such as Python/Django, PHP/Fuel, or Ruby on Rails
- Experience with SQL database systems and database technologies (e.g., MySQL, Oracle, Cassandra)
- Experience working with Hadoop big data technologies, such as Hadoop Streaming, Hive, Pig, HBase, or related technologies
System Engineer-Hadoop Cluster Administration