When it comes to education and technology the only thing that was present at the schools at the end of the 20th century was computers in our computer lab and a television in the media lab. Well that all my school had. Its kind is still the same just that the television has become smarter, computers have become a bit too powerful and fast, kids have smart phones and i-pads with them. Well that's not all the change, the introduction of AI in schools and colleges is now not a farfetched things, the hype is now real. AI is not taking away anything from the classroom; rather it is making the classroom experience what every adult today wanted as a child. The benefits of AI in education systems are plenty.
AI is a growing technology, and it will help the education grow with it. AI will have a bigger role to play in the education system than what we expect.
1. Grading: AI is one day expected to grade the standard assessments, projects and other education grading processes and in some cases have already started doing it, but for now it good enough to grade our usual multiple choice materials. AI help with grading will be a plus point for the teachers, a burden will be removed from their shoulders and they will be able to do so much of the other curriculum related things.
2. A support system for teachers: AI can get as helpful it can in the education and teaching system a teachers will always have a role to play, after all I human touch a familiar face is always important when it comes to learning, that's how it has been so far. One college professor successfully used an AI chatbot to communicate with students as a teaching assistant all semester without students knowing they were not talking to a human.
3. Support Students: Pearson has already suggested that in the future students will have an AI lifelong learning companion. Essentially, this next generation of students will grow up with an AI companion that knows their personal history and school history. Therefore, it will know each student's individual strengths and weaknesses.
4. A provider of personalized help: The beauty of AI systems is that they are able to adapt quite easily to the individual learning related requirements of a student. AI will also provide personalized tutoring for students outside of the classroom. When students need to reinforce skills or master ideas before an assessment, AI will be able to provide students with the additional tools they need for success. In a class, it can get really difficult for a teacher to meet the expectations of each and every student out there. After all, there are so many different kinds of students that teachers have to deal with ESL students, advanced students, and students with special needs, to name a few.
5. Provide Personalized Help: AI will also provide personalized tutoring for students outside of the classroom. When students need to reinforce skills or master ideas before an assessment, AI will be able to provide students with the additional tools they need for success.
6. Identify Weaknesses in the Classroom: AI will also work in identifying classroom weaknesses. For instance, AI will identify when groups of students miss certain questions letting the teacher know when material needs to be retaught. In this way, AI will also hold teachers accountable and strengthen best teaching practice.
7. Interesting education: the story of hour is that kids don't get hooked to what is taught to them, that is what AI can help education and teachers with, AI can me it a lot more interesting. Things such as game technology and simulation are expected to play a major role in this regard.
Whatever you think of artificial intelligence, there's no denying its place in modern teaching. And while there's no replacing the human aspect of our beloved teachers, we believe edtech and AI will only help the overworked and underfunded classrooms of tomorrow.